Sunday, February 6, 2011

I AM A FAN!!

Im in Love with Jessica Seinfeld and her food website! I think cause I was a fan of Jerry's first. Who isn't right? that man is a genius! So of course she has to be too (lots of major celebrity assumptions!) It is fun to get a glimpse into her amazing kitchen and see her family a bit.  Real People. I told Robert tonight that if Jerry Seinfeld can eat out of a crock pot than he can too- haha!!

We have had some yummy meals lately, courtesy of doitdelicious.com, Jessica Seinfeld's blog.  She is an AMAZING cook that puts thing in SIMPLE terms. I loved trying some recipes from her cook book "Deceptively Delicious" a few years ago. Robert still doesn't get off my back about putting Spinach in Brownies but they are good!!

Anyway, I became her fan on Facebook and found out about her amazing website.  She has a bunch of video tutorials that show in simple terms how to make some great, quick dinners.

I have tried the

Sweet Cherry Tomato Pasta    It is so good I have made it twice and I used whole wheat gnocchi instead of spaghetti noodles--AMAZING! Planning on making it again and again and again!
 
Freaky Greek Pasta  This is delcious- please use all the feta and even put in more!!- it sounds like a lot but it isn't- sooo good and light and filling too.  (I know Im prego and soft cheese aren't good- just turn a blind eye to my choices....

Perfect Halibut over Spinach  I used Tilapia instead of Halibut because it is cheaper. So good still and I made a rice pilaf with parmesan cheese and asparagus that was the perfect side dish.

And of course the Slow Cooker Lasagna listed below- it was that good!!!!  I made it today and started it before I left for church and when we got home it was perfect. I'm not a huge fan of crock pot cooking but this was delicious. So much flavor and the noodles were perfectly tender and the cheese was so good. I only happened to have one ricotta cheese in my fridge so I substituted a container of cottage cheese instead and it was great. I included the tutorial for the lasagna below so you can see how simple and easy her videos are.

I hope sharing her website can help your family cook fast and healthy meals-- also no four legged animals are involved- and all whole foods!! Love it!!


SLOW COOKER LASAGNA

Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours and 50 minutes
Serves 6-8
This slow cooker lasagna couldn't be more simple (you don't have to pre-boil the noodles!) Just assemble and walk away. But before you do, watch Jess and Ali show you, step-by-step, how to do it.

SHARE:

READY TO LEARN? JUST HIT PLAY.

ingredients

2 28-ounce cans
crushed tomatoes
4 cloves
garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons
dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon
kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon
red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon
freshly ground black pepper
2 15-ounce containers
fresh ricotta
2 cups
grated mozzarella (8 ounces)
1/4 cup
grated Parmesan
16
lasagna noodles (about 3/4 of a 1-pound box)
5 ounces
baby spinach (about 6 cups packed)

directions

In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, red pepper and black pepper (12 turns on pepper mill). In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella and the Parmesan.
In the bottom of a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker, spread a thin layer of the sauce. Top with 4 of the noodles (breaking to fit as necessary.) Spread 1 1/2 cups of the sauce over the noodles and layer with 2 cups of the spinach and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture. Repeat twice more with the noodles, sauce, spinach and cheese mixture. Top with the remaining 4 noodles, sauce and 1 cup mozzarella.
Cook on low, covered, until the noodles are tender—especially in the center of the lasagna, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've read her book, but never checked out her site. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Linda said...

Thanks so much for the recipes! It is always nice to try something new. I get stuck in a rutt on what to make at times.

I noticed you only have 10 days left on your pregnancy. I am so excited for you!

I think we will probably have another baby...although I am soo scared to have 3 kids. Sometimes I feel I can only hand the two I have. You will have to give me some tips when that time comes or even tips now are always good. :)

Love ya April!!